Location：Faculty&Staff > Faculty
School of Materials Science and Engineering
Prof. XiaozhongZhang, received his BSc in Physics from Fudan University (China) in 1982, his MSc in Physics from Shanghai Jiaotong University (China) in 1984. He then won the Chinese Government Scholarship to study at Oxford University (UK) during 1985-1989, and received his PhD in Materials Science from Oxford University in 1989. He then worked as a postdoctoral research fellow at Royal Institution of Great Britain for three years. During 1992-1999 he worked as a Faculty (research fellow, then lecturer and then senior lecturer) at Physics department, National University of Singapore. In 1999 he joined Tsinghua University as a professor at Department of Materials Science and Engineering. He was the director of Electron Microscopy Laboratory of Tsinghua University during 1999-2006. He has been the deputy director of the Key Laboratory of Advanced Materials, Education Ministry since 1999，and the deputy chief member of Chinese national nano-technology standardization committee during 2004-2017. He is now serving as the member of Chinese national nano-technology standardization committee, consulting member of Chinese national micro-beam analysis standardization committee. His research interests are spintronic materials and devices, brain-inspired computing materials and devices, carbon materials, electron microscopy of materials, and computational materials science. Since he returned to China in 1999, he has obtained 10 Chinese national projects. He has published more than 190 journal referred papers and been awarded 25 Chinese and US patents. His silicon based magnetoresistance work (Nature 2011) was elected as “Top 10 University level scientific and technological advances of the year of 2011 in China” and “Top 10 scientific advances of the year of 2011 in China”.
1989, DPhil, Dept. of Materials, University of Oxford, UK
1984, MSc, Dept. of Physics, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China
1982, BSc, Dept. of Physics, Fudan University, China
2016- Present, Professor, Beijing Innovation Center for Future Chip，China
2015- Present, Professor, Center for Brian-Inspired Computing Research, Tsinghua University,
1999- Present, Professor, School (/Department ) of Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua
1992-1999, Research Fellow, then Lecturer, then Senior Lecturer,
Dept. of Physics, National University of Singapore, Singapore
1989-1992, Post-doctoral Research Fellow,
The Royal Institution of Great Britain, UK
Part-time Academic Job
The deputy director of the Key Laboratory of Advanced Materials, Education Ministry
Spintronic materials and devices
Brian-inspired computing materials and devices
Electron Microscopy of materials
Computational Materials Science
Currently, Prof. Zhang is mainly working on spintronic materials and devices, brian-inspired computing materials and devices, and magnetic semiconductors. He is also working on electron microscopy of materials and computational materials science.
Awards And Honors
1985, Chinese Government Scholarship for Overseas Study，
2003, First Prize of Chinese Analytic and Measuring society，
2007, National Elite Course “Electron Microanalyses”
2011 “Top 10 University level scientific and technological advances of the year of 2011 inChina”.
2011 “Top 10 scientific advances of the year of 2011 in China”
Recent Representative papers:
1)ZC Luo, HG Piao, Andrew V. Brooks, XF Wang, JJ Chen, CY Xiong, FH Yang, XR Wang, XG Zhang, XZ Zhang, Large magnetoresistance in silicon at room temperature induced by onsite Coulomb interaction, Adv. Elec. Mater. , Doi: 10.1002/aelm.201700186
2)Zhaochu Luo, Ziyao Lu, Chengyue Xiong, Tao Zhu, Wei Wu, Qiang Zhang, Huaqiang Wu, Xixiang Zhang, Xiaozhong Zhang，Reconfigurable magnetic logic combined with non-volatile memory writing，Adv. Mater. 29, 1605027 (2017).
3) R. Rajan, ZC Luo, ZY Lu，AS Saleemi, CY Xiong, XZ Zhang, Diode and inhomogeneity assisted extremely large magnetoresistance in silicon, Appl. Phys. Lett., 111(4), 042406 (2017)
4)Zhaochu Luo, ChengyueXiong, Xu Zhang, Zhen-gang Guo, JianwangCai, Xiaozhong Zhang， Extremely large magnetoresistance at low magnetic field by coupling nonlinear transport effect and anomalous Hall effect， Adv. Mater. 28, 2760–2764，（2016）
5)J. Chen, H-g Piao, Z Luo, X. Zhang et al. Enhanced linear magnetoresistance of germanium at room temperature due to surface imperfection," Appl. Phys. Lett.106 , 173503 （2015）
6)Ning Jiang,; Woodley, M. Scott, C. Richard , Catlow, X. Zhang, Applying a new interatomic potential for the modelling of hexagonal and orthorhombic YMnO3, J. Mater. Chem.C 3, 4787-4793 (2015).
7) Zhaochu Luo，Xiaozhong Zhang, et al., Silicon-Based Current-Controlled Reconfigurable Magnetoresistance Logic Combined with Non-Volatile Memory，Adv. Funct. Mater. 25, 158-166 (2015).
8) Zhaochu, Luo and Xiaozhong Zhang, Resistance transition assisted geometry enhanced magnetoresistance in semiconductors, J. Appl. Phys. 117, 17A302 (2015);
9) An Bao , Hong-Shuai Tao, Hai-Di Liu, XiaoZhong Zhang & Wu-Ming Liu, Quantum magnetic phase transition in square-octagon lattice, Scientific Reports, 4 6918 (2014)
10) Chen J, Zhang X, et al., Enhanced low field magnetoresistance in germanium and silicon-diode combined device at room temperature. Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 193508 (2014).
11)Jimin Wang, Xiaozhong Zhang, et al., Magnetic field controllable nonvolatile resistive switching effect in silicon device, Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 243511. ( 2014)
12) Rizwan Ur Rehman, Xiaozhong Zhang, ChengyueXiong, Yi Yu, Semiconducting amorphous carbon thin films for transparent conducting electrodes, Carbon 76 (2014) 64-70.
13) Y. Yu, X. Zhang, Y. G. Zhao, N. Jiang, R. Yu, J. W. Wang, C. Fan, X. F. Sun, J. Zhu. Atomic-scale study of topological vortex-like domain pattern in multiferroic hexagonal manganites. Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 032901 (2013).
14) Jimin Wang, Xiaozhong Zhang, Caihua Wan, Johan Vanacken,Victor V. Moshchalkov，Magnetotransport properties of undoped amorphous carbonFilms， CARBON， 59 (2013) 278-282
15)C. H. Wan , X. Z. Zhang, X. L. Gao, J. M. Wang & X. Y. Tan, Geometrical enhancement of low-field magnetoresistance in silicon, Nature 477, 304-307 (2011).
16) L H Wu, X Zhang, J Vanacken, N Schildermans, C H Wan, and V VMoshchalkov, Room-temperature Non-saturating Magnetoresistance of Intrinsic Bulk Silicon in High Pulsed Magnetic Fields, Appl. Phys. Lett. 98 (2011) 112113.
17)Chengguo Zhang, X. Zhang, Yonghao Sun, et al., Atomistic simulation of Y-site substitution in multiferroic h-YMnO3, Phys. Rev. B 83（2011）054104.
18))XiliGao, Xiaozhong Zhang, Caihua Wan, Xin Zhang, Lihua Wu, and Xinyu Tan, Abnormal humindity-dependent electrical properties of amorphous carbon/silicon, Appl. Phys. Lett. 97（2010）212101.
19) Su Li and Xiaozhong Zhang, Sb2O3-induced tapered ZnO nanowire arrays: the kinetics of radial growth and morphology control, J. Phys. Chem. C, 114 (2010) 10379–10385.
20) Caihua Wan, Xiaozhong Zhang，Xin Zhang, XiliGao and Xinyu Tan, Photoconductivity of iron doped amorphous carbon films on n-type silicon substrates, Appl. Phys. Lett. 95 (2009). 022105
21)Xin Zhang, Xiaozhong Zhang, Caihua Wan and LihuaWu , A bias voltage dependent positive magnetoresistance in Cox–C1-x /Si heterostructure, Appl. Phys. Lett. 95 (2009) 022503.
22) F.L Tang and X. Zhang, Hole distribution and local structure in La2 - xSrxCuO4, Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, (2007) 142501.
23) X. Zhang, W.G. Yang, L. N. Zhang, J. J. Qi and J. Yuan , Correlation of Bonding of Grain Boundary and Fracture Mode with Local Electronic Structure in Steels by Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy, Appl. Phys. Lett.90 (2007) 171905.
24) F.L. Tang and X. Zhang, Atomic distribution and local structure in charge-ordered La1/3Ca2/3MnO3, Phys. Rev. B 73 (2006) 144401
25)Lisheng Wang, X. Zhang, Songqing Zhao, Junjie Qi, Guoyuan Zhou , Y. L. Zhou, Synthesis of well aligned ZnO nanowires using simple PVD approach on c-axis oriented ZnO thin films without catalysts, Appl. Phys. Lett. 86 (2005) 024108.
26) Xue QZ, Zhang X, Anomalous electrical transport properties of amorphous carbon films on Si substrates, Carbon 43 (2005) 760-764.
27) Q.Z. Xue, X. Zhang, P. Tian, and C. Jin, Anomalous current-voltage characteristics and colossal electroresistance of amorphous carbon film on Si substrate, Appl. Phys. Lett. 85 (2004) 4397-4399.
28) Jun Liu, X. Zhang, Y.Han. F.S. Xiao, Direct observation of nanorange ordered microporosity within mesoporous molecular sieves, Chem Mater. 14 (2002) 2536-2540.
29) Y. J. Zhang, N. L. Wang, S. P. Gao, R. R. He, S. Miao, J. Liu, J. Zhu, X. Zhang.“A simple method to synthesize nanowires”. Chem. Mater. 14(2002): 3564-3568.
30) Yu Han, Shuo Wu, Yinyong Sun, Dongsheng Li, Feng-Shou S Xiao, Jun Liu and Xiaozhong Zhang, “Hydrothermally stable ordered hexagonal mesoporousaluminosilicatesassemblied from triblock copolymer with preformed aluminosilicate precursors in strong acidic media", Chem Mater., 14 (2002) 1144-1148.
31) Yingjiu Zhang, Jun Liu, , Rongrui He, Qi Zhang, Xiaozhong Zhang, Jing Zhu, Synthesis of aluminum nitride nanowires by carbon nanotubes. Chem. Mater.13 (2001) 3899-3905.
Copyright © 2020 School of Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University All Rights Reserved.